To our UC Berkeley Permit Holders:
The Golden Bear Experience 2019 is rapidly approaching for our incoming freshmen and transfer students.
As they are preparing for their transition to campus, we want to give you more information about how Move-In Day and the Golden Bear Orientation will affect you and our community.
Our Primary Move-In Day is scheduled for Tuesday, August 20, 2019
This means roughly 5,200 incoming undergraduates and their families will drive to residence halls, unload their belongings, and visit the campus, all within a ten–hour time frame. A limited move-in will take place on Monday, August 19.
To ease the congestion on August 20, campus leadership asks department chairs, managers, and supervisors to do the following:
- Review their businesses for that day and offer staff alternatives to travelling to campus if possible, such as telecommuting or taking a vacation day.
- Consider planning meetings, retreats, and other activities off site that day.
If you need to be on campus that day, please note the following:
- Bike, walk, or take public transit, if possible. Find effective routes (or carpool partners) through our Berkeley Moves! Website (CalNet ID required).
- Campus parking will be extremely limited in most cases. See below for details regarding allowed lots, prohibited lots, and alternative locations.
- If you must drive to campus, factor in additional traffic congestion and commuting time (for example, thirty additional minutes each way) and be prepared to park in alternative lots listed below:
UC Controlled Lots for Move-In
On Tuesday, August 20, 8:00AM – 6:00PM the following parking lot locations will be reserved for Cal Move-In undergraduates and their families (and a Cal Move-In permit will be required).
UC Berkeley Permit Holders may NOT park at these locations:
- · Bancroft Structure
- · Clark Kerr Campus Northwest Lot
- · Clark Kerr Campus Southwest Lot
- · Clark Kerr Campus Horseshoe
- · Ellsworth Structure
- · Foothill Lot
- · Haste/Channing Garage
- · Lower Hearst Structure Level 2
- · Underhill Garage
- · Upper Hearst 3&4
UC Permit Holders Alternate Parking Areas
Due to the heavy congestion and traffic around the residence halls, and the limited parking available, we strongly recommend UC permit holders to park at the following alternate parking facilities and campus lots, (first come first serve basis):
- Lawrence Hall Science Terraces (150 spaces) Shuttle service will be provided to and from lot location, with departures leaving every 15-30 minutes throughout the day.
- · Other UC controlled lots that are available on a first come first serve basis: RSF Garage, Bancroft/Fulton East, Bancroft/Fulton West, South Extension Banway, Frank Schlessinger Way, Dwinelle Lot, Wellman Court, Genetics Garage, Lower Hearst Stc. Levels 1, 3, 4, Upper Hearst Stc. 1&2, Ridge Lot, Boalt Lot
- Other lots may be available in addition to those listed above.