An invited guest may be a vendor, a business associate, a guest speaker, a contractor, or a repair or service provider. Departments are responsible for ensuring that their guests have the appropriate permits and that they understand the related parking rules.
Departments can purchase the following permits:
- Central Campus Daily
- Faculty Staff Daily
Permit will be valid for one day only and is activated by clearly scratching off the month, date and the day. All scratch-off hangtags are non-refundable, and all sales are final. The permits are available only for departmental use and are not sold to individuals. There is no limit to how many permits you may purchase, but departments should buy only what they can reasonably use over several months, and replenish supplies as needed.
Providing Permits to Guests
After purhcasing permits Departments may:
- Provide permit to invited guest in advance of their arrival, along with instructions on where and how to park. Guests will not need to check in at a kiosk.
- Drop off the invited guest permit at the East or West Gate Kiosk either on the day of or the day before the visit. Include:
- Your guest's name
- Your name
- Your phone number
- A self-addressed campus-mail envelope with your mail code
Unclaimed permits will be returned by kiosk attendants to the P&T office and mailed back to the originating department within two days. Kiosks will not hold permits over the weekend.If your guest arrives prior to receiving their guest permit, they can request a 20-minute guest pass from the East or West Gate kiosk to allow them time to pick up their permit.
Rules and Regulations
- Campus departments and organizations may either elect to cover the cost of the guest permit themselves, or advise the guest to purchase a public parking ticket from ther parking machines with cash when they arrive at their designated lot.
- Departments may purchase any number of invited guest permits in advance.
- Due to limited campus parking availability, maximum parking authorization for invited guests is ten cars per department per day. If parking is required for more than ten cars, arrangements must be made through the special events department.
- It is recommended that guest visits be scheduled during either the early morning or late afternoon hours, and not during peak parking times.
Conditions of Use
- Invited guest hangtag permits must be used for departmental visitors only. They cannot be used for parking at special events.
- Invited guest permits may not be issued to individual employees or students for their personal use, or for commute parking.*
- Duplication, alteration, or misuse of an invited guest permit may result in a citation and/or revocation of parking privileges.
- The purchasing department is responsible for appropriate use of all invited guest permits until they are either returned to the Parking and Transportation office or until they expire.
*It is against UC Policy for a department to purchase an employee’s parking permit with UC funds (see Campus Administrative Memo regarding “Limitation on Use of Funds for Parking” – 9/5/00). By paying for an employee’s parking, the department would, in essence, be providing the individual with additional compensation. Receiving this compensation without reporting to the Internal Revenue Service violates Federal and State tax laws.