Paying a Citation
All citations indicate the violation and fine amount on the citation (see reading your citation for diagrams). Citation recipients have 21 calendar days to either pay or contest the citation. In accordance with DMV vehicle code, citations not paid or under administrative review by 21 calendar days from the issuance date will result in the following:
- A late fee of $54 will be added to the citation fine amount.
- A hold will be placed on the vehicle's registration until the citations are paid.
- The vehicle is subject to immobilization (boot) or tow with five or more outstanding citations (unpaid for 30 days or more). All outstanding citations and an additional $35 administrative fee must be paid in order for the boot to be removed.
Citations can be paid in one of the following ways:
- Online via online citation payment, starting the day after the citation is issued. The following are required when making a payment online:
- Citation or vehicle license plate number
- Valid credit card. The name on the credit card must match the name on the cited vehciles' registration.
- Current email address
Cookies must be enabled on your computer.
- By mail: Payment should be sent to the address indicated on the rear of the citation and on the envelope included with the citation. Please write your citation number on your check.
- By phone: Call our customer service unit at (510) 643-7701 between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, expect holidays.
- In person: Citations may be paid in person at the customer services office from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.