Bicycle racks are provided at convenient locations throughout the central campus area. To reduce the risk of theft and vandalism, the campus is also equipped with four secure, covered parking facilities that are free of charge for University affiliates.
Cyclists are advised to invest in a high quality lock and cable for maximum security. Bikes must be locked to a University designated bicycle rack, and must not impede or block any campus thoroughfare or facility.
Secure Bicycle Parking
UC Berkeley’s Parking & Transportation department has installed three secure and covered bicycle parking facilities on campus, for use by UC affiliates.
This program is offered free of charge on a first-come, first-served basis.
Secure Bicycle Parking provides added security for your bicycle:
- Monitored access with personal code
- Parking enforcement patrols during business hours
- Observation by parking attendants in facilities within parking lots (weekdays)
- Covered facilities
Participating campus and community members will benefit from safe indoor bicycle parking when they commute to campus, via four caged facilities. The facilities are open to UC affiliates, and are located in campus parking areas:
Each facility contains regular bicycle racks and bicycles using the facilities must be locked to these racks using a high quality lock. Secure Bicycle parking facilities are locked and accessible only via a personal access code. The code allows the user to access all locked facilities 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
How to Apply
UC affiliates may apply to join the Secure Bicycle Parking program through the Parking & Transportation department. Upon approval, you will receive your personal access code.
- Download the Secure Bicycle Parking Form
- Enter all required information (either online or by printing out the form)
- Sign and date the form
- Submit your completed form:
Via campus mail to:
P&T Administrative Offices
2150 Kittredge St., 1st Floor
94720, MC 5746
By fax to:
In person at:
P&T Customer Services Office
2150 Kittredge St., 1st Floor Bicycle Parking Guidelines
Approved applicants will be given an access code that will provide access to the Secure Bicycle Parking facilities.
- Always lock your bike to a bicycle rack
- Use a high quality “U” shaped lock. Avoid using lightweight cables or chains, or low quality U-locks
- Always attach your bicycle to the rack through the frame and both wheels
- Lock all free or easily detachable parts or take them with you
- Avoid leaving your bicycle locked outside overnight
- Check the lock before departing to ensure it is secured
Visit UC Berkeley PD website for a flash animation about how to lock a bike properly.
Secure Bicycle Parking Policies
- User must be a campus affiliate (current faculty, staff or student) with an active appointment or currently enrolled
- Users are required to possess a valid California Bicycle License for all bicycles that will be housed in Secure Bicycle Parking facilities. Licenses are available free of charge to campus affiliates.
- Secure Bicycle Parking facilities are meant to provide secure parking for bicycle commuters.
- Bicycle storage is not allowed. Bicycles stored or left for long periods of time may be impounded.
- Sharing of access codes is not allowed, for security reasons.
- Use of access codes may be monitored to investigate misuse, theft or property damage.
- The University does not assume responsibility for stolen or damaged bicycles.
- Bicycles parked in Secure Bicycle parking facilities must be locked to bicycle racks with a high-quality lock.
- Bicycles must not be improperly locked, locked to the enclosure, or, impede free entry or exit of cyclists or other bicycles