The control and movement of traffic on campus is necessary to the efficient operation of the University and everyone parking on the UC Berkeley campus must abide by regulatory parking signs posted at the entrance to each parking location. When regulations are violated, enforcement action is taken.
The face of the citation contains information pertinent to the citation, including the violation and fine amount. Within 21 calendar days the recipient has the option to either pay or contest the citation.
Parking rules and regulations are enforced seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Observance of parking signs at the entrance to all UC Berkeley parking lots and structures will allow you to avoid receiving a citation.
A valid parking permit for the area is required in all University parking areas including central campus, faculty staff, and student lots. Vehicles not displaying a valid parking permit for the area are subject to citation.
Payment of hourly parking fees is required in all UC public parking spaces. Public parking is either pay by space number or pay and display of a valid dispensing machine ticket. Vehicles parked in spaces that have expired time in pay by space lots, or parked without proper display of a valid dispensing machine ticket in pay and display lots are subject to citation.
Ten Ways to Avoid a Parking Citation
- Make sure your permit or pass is completely displayed. Permit and sticker numbers must be visible to enforcement officers.
- Read all the details on your pass or permit. If it is a day pass, make sure the day and date are correctly scratched off.
- Remember that parking is enforced 24/7, including weekends and holidays.
- If you are making a delivery or running a short errand on campus, 20-minute gate passes are available at the East and West gate kiosks during business hours.
- White zones are for 3-minute passenger drop or pick up only. The driver must remain with the vehicle at all times.
- All vehicles must park in a marked space. Emergency response vehicles are exempt.
- Make sure your permit is the right one for your parking space. Signs at the entrance of each parking lot and area and on each level of campus parking structures note which permits (C, F, S, etc.) are required to park in those areas.
- There is no free parking on campus. The East and West Gate entrances have signs with information about parking on campu.
- Specially designated spaces marked Reserve require special permits at all times. These spaces are not for general parking.
- No stopping or parking in bus zones.