Parking can be hard to find on campus. With no free parking on campus and limited street parking available, using public transportation and campus shuttles are great alternatives to driving.
Parking Tips for Visitors
- Make parking arrangements in advance. If your campus visit has been pre-arranged by a department or is for a clinic appointment, ask a representative to arrange your parking and provide you with a permit, or to direct you to on- or off-campus public parking. Go to Invited Guest Permits for more information.
- Schedule visits for early morning or late afternoon. During peak parking hours (9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Mon – Fri), University parking areas are often filled to capacity.
- Read signs carefully before parking your vehicle. Regulated parking hours, permit requirements, fees and special parking instructions are posted at all main campus entrances and in off-campus lots. Violation of University parking regulations may result in a citation and/or towing of the vehicle.
- If you are unable to find a parking space, return to the East or West Gate and request assistance. The gate attendant will direct you to a public parking facility near the campus. Gates are staffed 7:45 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, with a reduced schedule during the summer. Visitor parking map.
- Use public transportation whenever possible. Getting to Berkeley by public transit can be easy! Visit the Parking & Transportation Office, located at 2150 Kittredge Street, for information on how to get to campus via public transportation, including Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) or AC Transit (the East Bay's bus system). Visit 511.org or dial 5-1-1 for more information.
- Public parking lots may have available parking There are a number of public parking lots and facilities near campus and in downtown Berkeley. The list below iincludes municipal and privately owned parking lots and garages open to the public. Please consult signs for hours and fees prior to entering the facilities.
- Stadium Parking Garage (2175 Gayley Road)
- Berkeley Way near Shattuck
- Allston Way near Shattuck (2061 Allston Way)
- Durant Avenue near Telegraph (2450 Durant Avenue)
- Bancroft Way near Bowditch (2558 Bancroft Way)
- Oxford Parking Garage
There is street and metered parking near the University, but be diligent about reading parking restrictions, as the regulations and schedules are strictly enforced by the City of Berkeley.