Student permits are sold by the semester and are valid for the semester in which the permit was purchased. Student permits must be renewed at the beginning of each semester. Students are responsible for purchasing and displaying a valid permit at the start of each semester. Permits are pro-rated based on the date of purchase and valid in “S” lots only.
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to purchase parking permits:
• Must be a registered UC Berkeley student with proof of enrollment for the current term.
• Must live outside the designated campus boundary. Miles are calculated from 2150 Kittredge Street, Berkeley, CA 94720.
- Grizzly Peak
- Claremont Avenue
- Alcatraz Avenue
- San Pablo Avenue
- Hopkins Street
- Eunice Street
- Euclid Avenue
- Cedar Street
View 2 Mile boundary in a larger map
Pay in person at the Parking and Transportation Customer Services office. The payment process is outlined below:
- Present your UCB Cal ID card (Cal 1 Card Office)
- Fill out a Parking Permit Application form.
- Must live outside the designated campus boundary supported by utility bill, bank statement, or or lease/rental agreement.
- Provide proof that you are a registered student by printing out of your class schedule to confirm enrollment. (Log on to Bear Facts/Tele-BEARS and print out your class schedule)
**Please Note: For Carpool Permits students must have a minimum of 2 carpool permits displayed per vehicle at all times and each student must complete the Parking Permit Application Form.
- To check whether or not you’re registered, use the Tele-BEARS (Info-Bears) system or visit the CalNet Website.
- Grad students should contact their home department (not the Graduate Division). Unregistered grad students must verify registration with a letter from their home department. This letter must:
- Be an original (not a copy) on UC or department letterhead
- Include student name and ID#
- Confirm your department affiliation
- Confirm enrollment status
- Be signed by a department representative
- Include department representative's phone number
New residents must submit a completed Residence Hall Parking Application in place of the Permit Application form. You will be placed on a waiting list and will be notified when a space becomes available. Please contact us with any questions via email at or by phone at (510) 643-7701. Office hours for Resident Hall Permits is from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Must pay for the academic year through 06/30.
Parking permits may be canceled once within any fiscal year (July through June) without a processing charge. More than one cancellation during the fiscal year may incur a processing fee.
In order to cancel your permit:
- Print, complete and sign a Permit Cancellation Form
- Bring the completed form, along with your permit, to the Parking and Transportation office
- Cash, and check payments are refunded by check only.
- Credit Card payments can be credited back to the same credit card only
If you have lost, stolen or forgotten to bring your parking permit, student permit-holders must stop by the Parking & Transportation office to purchase a temporary one-day scratcher permit.
- Permit holder must fill out the Request for Replacement Permit Form.
- Pay a $35 Nonrefundable permit replacement fee.
- No charge for stolen permits if police report is provided.
- Permits reported lost or stolen are subject to permit misuse citation if used to park on campus.
Please note: handwritten notes are not an acceptable substitute for a temporary permit. Vehicles not displaying a permit will be cited.