Throughout the year, a number of events are held on campus which warrant reserved parking for a large number of guests or attendees. A special event is categorized as an event that takes place on campus and requires parking for 10 or more vehicles. It is recommended that special events be scheduled for either Monday through Friday after 5:30 p.m.*, or on a weekend, when campus parking is more readily available.
*Under certain circumstances, limited reserved parking may be made available weekdays before 5:30 p.m. Contact Event Services (510) 642-5401 for more information.
Parking can be pre-arranged through the Event Services division of the Parking and Transportation department, who will provide the necessary services to support additional campus traffic, and ensure that your guests are provided with convenient parking options.
For more information on upcoming CAL Performances, please visit the CAL Performances Website.
Regular Seasonal Events
The following events are regularly scheduled events that take place on campus on a seasonal basis, and are attended by the public. Each page provides detailed information on schedules, parking, and alternative transportation.
For parking availability or information on any other event, please contact the Event Services department (510) 642-5401. For general public parking information, visit Public Parking.
Parking Services Provided
Event Services is responsible for organizing the guest parking and traffic movement on campus for a special event. Although they will do their best to accommodate your request, specific parking areas may not be available on the date of your event.
In addition to parking arrangements, Event Services also provides the following services. Please note that, depending on your needs, staffing and service costs may be assessed.
- Reserved parking spaces and permits for each vehicle.
- Signs – standard signage is available to advise and notify guests and the campus community of the specific events, and also to direct visitors to reserved spaces. Special signs may be ordered for an additional cost.
- Parking Attendants – Parking attendant services are requiredfor events with 30 or more vehicles, and are also available upon request. Parking and transportation attendant requests must be submitted a minimum of 10 business days prior to the date of your event. Attendants are stationed at designated entrances to reserved parking lots or structures, and are responsible for:
- Issuing parking permits to guests
- Assisting with directing traffic to event areas
- Providing directions or special instructions to event attendees
- Stack Parking Attendants – It may be necessary to employ contracted parking attendants to park overflow vehicles in certain lots or in structures with space limitations. If stack parking is required, one attendant is assigned to every 20 vehicles.
- Traffic Control – Parking Enforcement Officers may be assigned to expedite traffic flow for large or elaborate special events. If traffic control is recommended for a given event, Parking and Transportation will notify you and advise you of additional charges. If you request traffic control, your request must be made at least one week in advance.
- Maps– Campus maps to help direct guests to their designated reserved parking area can be requested or viewed from the Parking and Transportation Web site in advance.
Planning Guide for Special Event Parking
Planning well in advance is advised for those charged with organizing a special event. In order to determine how far in advance to request parking services for a special event, refer to the following table:
|Number of Vehicles||Notification Needed*||Parking Attendant|
|1-29||5 business days||Available upon request|
|30-75||10 business days||Required|
|76-500||15 calendar days||Required|
|500+||30 business days||Required|
*If insufficient notice is given prior to an event, late fees may be charged